I celebrated my birthday 2 weeks ago and my sister surprised me with a food processor! I’ve never owned one before and have been using a small food processor attachment that came with my hand blender. It took forever to make anything in that little thing! Imagine me making cauliflower rice, hummus and nut energy balls in a small food processor. Thank God that the motor of my hand blender broke because if it didn’t, I wouldn’t have a brand new spanking Cuisinart food processor! Yay me! Thanks sis! Best gift ever! 🙂
Ain’t she a thing of beauty??
First thing I made in this beautiful food processor is this fresh lemon basil pesto! Basil is my favourite herb so it goes without saying that I also love pesto! Did you know that basil is an adaptogenic herb? It means that it helps your body adapt, especially to stress! Basil is anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory! Full of antioxidants, it helps boost your immune system and relieve pain. And because I no longer eat much dairy, this pesto is dairy-free! A classic pesto usually uses parmesan but instead, I used nutritional yeast to boost the nutritional content with extra B-vitamins, iron, selenium, zinc and fiber and to get the cheesy flavour without the cheese! Try this recipe and taste and see the goodness for yourself!
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed, including stems
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- (approximately 1 Tbsp zest and 3 Tbsp juice)
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or a high-speed blender
- Blend until everything is well incorporated into a beautiful thick fine paste.
- - Pesto freezes well. Pour into ice cube trays. Once frozen, place in ziploc bags and use as needed.
- - 1 clove of raw garlic can be used in place of roasted garlic
- - Pine nuts or sunflower seeds can be used instead of pumpkin seeds. Variation to the nuts will change the green colour slightly.
- - Add more lemon juice for extra zing if you so desire 🙂
HAPPY EATING!! 🙂
Using instagram? Tag #cookalabella on your posts so I can see your beautiful creations and like it!