It’s that time of the year again when Back to School signs are everywhere! Whether you have kids, going back to school yourself, or just seeing these signs everywhere, make sure to eat a healthy balanced diet and supplement as needed. Here are my top 5 recommendations for a healthy school year for both you and your kid(s)!
♥ TOP 5 SUPPLEMENTS
1. Probiotics – I’m a firm believer that health begins in the gut. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that live in our guts. They help maintain healthy digestion and immune function. About 80% of our immune system is produced in the small intestine; therefore, it is important to have good gut health to prevent illness.
For maintenance, it is important for kids to take 10-15 Billion CFUs while adults should take 25-50 Billion CFUs.
(CFUs = Colony Forming Units)
2. Omega-3s – There are two essential fatty acids that our body needs: DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid). These two Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, decrease risk of developing chronic disease and support brain health (memory, concentration, mood, and behaviour).
For children that are 1-5 years old, look into supplements with higher dosage of DHA as it is important for proper development of brain, eyes, immune and nervous system. For children and teenagers ages 6-18, higher levels of EPA is recommended as it helps support brain, immune, joint, skin, and cardiovascular health. Maintenance for adults requires 1200-2400mg combined DHA & EPA.
3. Vitamin D3 – Helps absorb calcium from foods and is crucial for triggering the immune system to react and fight off infections. Most kids and adults don’t get enough Vitamin D because we barely get sun here in Vancouver and when we do, we wear sunscreen.
For children and teens age 1-18 years old, daily recommended intake is 400IUs but they can go up to 1000 IU. For adults, 1000 IU is the daily requirement but with Vancouver weather, I suggest going up to 4000 IU per day.
4. Multivitamin – Alongside a well-balanced diet, multivitamins help ensure that children (especially the picky eaters) get their daily requirements of vitamins and minerals. Multivitamins help top up any deficiency to support growth and boost the immune system. Be sure to choose brands that are organic and whole-food based.
5. Magnesium – My favourite mineral! Magnesium is the the anti-stress mineral. If children are having a hard time going to sleep or have a busy mind, magnesium would be the supplement to add! Just like adults, it is safe for children to take 100-300mg of magnesium daily. The amount they need depends on their age, gender and height. Please consult a healthcare practitioner to be sure you are using the right dosage.
Remember, supplements are meant to “supplement” or enhance a healthy balanced diet and lifestyle; they are not meant to take the place of a nutritious diet and active lifestyle. Integrate some of these recommendations and enhance overall health and wellbeing.
I wish you a happy & healthy day!
*I highlighted certain brands above that I recommend, I am not sponsored by any of these companies, I truly just like them!
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and do not render medical advice, opinion, diagnosis, or treatment. The information provided through this website should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a medical problem, you should consult your appropriate health care provider.