At about this time of the year, many of us have already fallen off the wagon from following our new year’s resolution. So today, I wrote seventeen things to help you feel better. Most of these I actually wrote to encourage myself. I hope it helps you too!
1. Self-care is the best care! – You’ve probably heard that before but it’s really true! If you don’t take care of yourself, how do you expect to have the energy and emotional capacity to help others? Just like the emergency video shown on every airplane ride, put the oxygen mask on yourself first before you put it on others. Take care of yourself first and then you can take better care of others. THIS IS NUMBER ONE FOR A REASON!
2. Stop feeling sorry for yourself – Yes, bad things have happened. Yes, no one can fully understand you. Yes, you may not have deserved what happened to you. Yes, life just isn’t fair. BUT… life goes on, being miserable wouldn’t change the past so LET IT GO and KEEP MOVING FORWARD. Get yourself out of the self-pity mode and remember all the good things in life.
3. Get rid of toxic relationships – Relationships are a two-way street. If you’re always the one pursuing a friend and they don’t reciprocate, that is more draining on you than on them. Plus, do you really want “friends” that don’t invest time on you? People who drain you are exhausting so say goodbye to them! Or if you really can’t do that, just don’t spend as much time with them for your own self-care.
4. Stop doing things that don’t work – Albert Einstein said that “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” If it hasn’t worked in the past, what makes you think it will work this time? Start trying different ways of doing things and find something that works!
5. Don’t be so hard on yourself – We are our harshest critics! It’s easy to pick on ourselves because we know ourselves the best. But you can’t be perfect, NO ONE IS! So just keep doing your best and stop being mean to yourself. Start loving yourself!
6. Stop Procrastinating! – Is there something you’ve always wanted to do but haven’t got around to it because you’ve been so busy? We make time for things that are important to us but we also waste time on things to forget about problems. So what is it that you’ve been putting off all this time? It’s a new year! The best time to do it is NOW!
7. Invest time on things that matter to you – Whether it be people, a dream, a business, an activity or a hobby – make sure you make time for things you love to do or people you care about. Life is short so enjoy every moment as best as you can. Live a life without regrets.
8. Stop Complaining! – You may complain just to vent and that might help a little bit. But if you make a habit of complaining, you’ll end up just frustrating yourself. Complaining focuses on the problems. Instead, look for solutions. Or, surround yourself with people that see differently from you, perhaps they can help you find solutions or a different way of doing things.
9. Be the Change – This goes with number 8. Instead of complaining about everything, be the change you want to see in your workplace, neighborhood, community or wherever you may be. Sometimes, the things that annoy you the most are what brings you forth to your destiny. Perhaps you have been placed in that specific place for a specific reason. Perhaps only YOU can change that which annoys you.
10. Stop trying so hard to impress – You can’t please everyone. Stop trying so hard to impress people so that they’d like you. Be yourself, do what you enjoy and try your best in everything. Watch the right kind of people flock over to you because they love you for who you are and just the way you are.
11. Be Thankful! – You probably have a lot more than you need. Be thankful for what you have. Be thankful for the people around you. Be thankful that you have a roof over your head. Be thankful for the food that you get to eat everyday. There’s so much to be thankful for in life, sometimes we simply forget and take them for granted. Appreciate the little things in life and find happiness in them.
12. Laugh out Loud – Laughter is the best medicine. Sometimes, I personally make a fake laugh and then I end up laughing at my fake laugh and then I find myself really laughing. It’s fun, try it sometimes! And if you can’t be loud…then smile. JUST KEEP SMILING! Your face will eventually tell your brain to feel happier. 🙂
13. Don’t be afraid to fail – Try something new! Keep challenging yourself. So what if you look like a fool? So what if you fail? At least you can say you gave it your best shot.
14. Take time away – Make sure you take time for yourself. Whatever it is that makes you feel happy and relaxed, do that! For me it’s cooking, dancing, singing, playing ukulele, colouring, taking photos, writing poems, and walking in nature. Unwind and have peace of mind.
15. Listen to your body – Our bodies are smart “machines” that know how to balance itself (homeostasis) with proper fuel and rest. So make sure you are listening to what your body is telling you. Don’t push yourself too hard if you are feeling tired. Rest and then go back to normal activities. You can do a whole lot more at a relaxed state than at a worn out, stressed out mode.
16. Don’t bottle things up – Make sure you have at least one or two friends who you can tell everything and anything to! It’s not good to keep things bottled up inside. If you really can’t tell a person, write it down! Do anything to release it from yourself so you don’t explode.
17. Have an accountability partner – Whatever goal you have for this year, make sure you tell somebody about it to keep you accountable. Even better, find like-minded people to do things with. One is the loneliest number of all, so don’t try being a lone wolf, have accountability and watch yourself succeed. There is power in togetherness.