Feeling tired when you wake up even if you’ve slept for 8 hours?
Stress, hormonal imbalances, and food allergies/sensitivities are some possible causes for not feeling well rested. Although there are no quick fixes or magic pills, our bodies are smart machines and if we feed it well, it will take care of us in return.
There are ways we can manage stress such as deep breathing, prayer or meditation. We can avoid certain foods that we know aggravate the stomach lining such as processed foods, sugar, dairy and alcohol. By nourishing and supporting our bodies with a clean diet and an active lifestyle, we can reduce symptoms and ultimately help the body heal naturally.
Sometimes though, we just need that extra pick-me-up-energy-boosting-deliciousness, so I created this Power Blast Smoothie to help for the time-being while we do all that we can to help the body heal.
I’m not much of a coffee drinker myself but when I’m asked to create a coffee smoothie by my clients, I am up for the challenge! I added a few key superfood ingredients to help boost energy!
Avocado – rich in dietary fiber, vitamin B5, B6, C, E, K, Potassium & Folate. Avocados can help in better digestion, satiety & weight management, decrease overall inflammation, boost immunity, blood sugar control and is good for eyes & heart health. It is a monounsaturated fat that helps absorb nutrients from plant foods.
Maca – nutritionally made up of amino acids, minerals, sterols, 20 fatty acids and vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B12, C, D, and E), carbs and protein. Maca can help increase energy (B vitamins), reduce stress by supporting the adrenal glands, enhance immunity, balance hormones and improve mental clarity and memory.
Ground Chia Seeds – an excellent source of fiber, omega-3s, antioxidants, plant-based protein, iron, calcium and magnesium! Great for satiety, weight management, stabilizing blood sugar levels and supports brain & heart health.
Raw Cacao – is a natural mood elevator and anti-depressant. It is loaded with antixodants, plant-based iron, magnesium and calcium. Great for brain and heart health!
MCT Oil – Medium-Chain Triglycerides, a form of saturated fatty acids that is easier to digest & absorb. It has a thermogenic effect which helps with metabolism, helps support a healthy gut environment and has antioxidant properties for less inflammation.
Cinnamon – a great source of fiber, manganese, calcium, iron and vitamin K. Cinnamon is high in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, regulates blood sugar levels, aids in digestion and immunity!
In general, this smoothie is high in healthy fats, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to support heart, brain and immune health! Here’s my Power Blast Smoothie recipe for those coffee lovers out there! ♥
- 250ml cold brew coffee
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 Tbsp maca powder
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp MCT oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- coconut cream (recipe below)
- carob nibs
- 100ml coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Place everything in a blender or nutribullet and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Make cold brew coffee: place 15g ground Lush Ethical Bean Coffee (or your preferred brand of coffee) in a French Press. Pour 1 cup hot water and stir with a spoon in an up and down motion. Let brew for 5 minutes. Plunge the press. Pour into a bowl or glass and place in the fridge to cool.
- The day before making, place a 400ml can of coconut milk upside down in the fridge.
- On the day of making, grab the coconut milk can out of the fridge and keep it upside down. Open the can and scoop out the cream from the top (originally the bottom end of the can). Reserve the liquid for making your smoothie.
- Place the cream in a bowl and whisk in the rest of the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into a jar and place in the fridge for at least half an hour before using to give the coconut cream some time to harden in the fridge. You can use it right away but it won't be as thick in consistency.
- Make a double or triple batch of cold brew coffee, pour into ice trays and freeze. This way, it's always ready for you to use whenever you need a pick-me-up!
- Alternatively, you can just buy a pre-made cold brew at the grocery store.
- Add a scoop of your favourite chocolate, vanilla or natural flavoured protein powder.
Enjoy the power from these plant-based superfoods and wake up happy!
HAPPY DRINKING!! 🙂
Using instagram? Tag #cookalabella on your posts so I can see your beautiful creations and like it!