Hot Chocolate… a favourite childhood drink that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. A drink that helps you reminisce of the good ol’ winter days; playing in the snow, laughing around the fireplace or baking Christmas treats in the kitchen. At least this is what hot cocoa does for me! I am a chocoholic and because I am not getting any younger, I need to be more mindful of what I consume. Most packaged hot chocolate mixes have modified, artificial and hydrogenated ingredients that we do not need to put in our bodies. Therefore, I have created this super easy 3-ingredient hot cocoa mix. Yes, it contains sugar, but it is balanced with the benefits of raw cacao! I like to use Navitas Naturals as I find the to taste the best and I trust that the way they process their cocoa beans.
Unlike cocoa which is heavily processed, roasted at high temperature, and is loaded with extra added refined sugar, raw cacao is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans; thereby preserving its nutrients: magnesium, calcium, iron, sulfur, copper, potassium and manganese. It is also high in antioxidants which protects our bodies from toxins, shields nerve cells from damage, reduce blood pressure, and lowers the risks of cardiovascular disease and stroke. And if that’s not enough, it also helps balance blood sugar and boosts our mood! Who knew eating the right kind of chocolate can be so good??
Now onto the recipe!!!! Make it for yourself or share it with your loved ones! If you cost it out, it ends up being about $8 per jar. Not only will your friends love a homemade gift that is cleaner, your wallet will love you too!
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup Navitas Naturals raw cacao
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup Dandies marshmallows
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 Tbsp hot cocoa mix
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk sugar, raw cacao and sea salt until well combined. Transfer cocoa mix into a mason jar.
- Top with chocolate chunks and marshmallows. Cover with lid.
- Label "Merry Christmas" on the front and write the recipe inside the card.
- Give to a dear friend or family member!
- In a pot, heat 1 cup of almond milk until it is almost boiling.
- Turn the heat off and add cocoa mix and vanilla.
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour into your favourite mug.
- If desired, top with chocolate chunk and marshmallows. Enjoy!
- Organic Cane Sugar = Coconut Sugar or Granulated Honey Crystals
- Chocolate Chunks = Carob Nibs
- Almond Milk = Any Non-Dairy Milk (rice, soy, hemp, cashew or coconut milk)
Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks
– Made with three ingredients: cane sugar, unsweetened chocolate and cocoa butter.
– Free from top allergens: gluten-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, egg-free, sulfite-free, soy-free & peanut-free
– Yes, it still has sugar BUT compared to other chocolate chip brands out there, this is better than most!
– Ingredients: tapioca syrup, cane sugar, filtered water, tapioca starch, carrageenan, soy protein, natural vanilla flavour
– 100% Vegan (gelatin-free)
– Free from most common food allergens: peanuts, tree nuts, milk, egg, wheat, fish, shelfish and corn
– This also has sugar but it’s Christmas, it’s the best time to treat yourself! Balance is key!
Navitas Naturals Raw Cacao
– Only one ingredient: organic cacao
– High in antioxidants
– Beneficial for a healthy immune system, stress reduction and balanced energy
Happy Creating, Sharing & Drinking! 🙂
Using instagram? Tag #cookalabella on your posts so I can see your beautiful creations and like it!