My health journey started with the influence of my sister and Food Matters about 6 years ago. My sister watched the Hungry for Change documentary and was inspired to start juicing. She then bought a juicer and started following a cleanse made by Jason Vale, a.k.a. the Juice Master. At the time, I was still resistant to change. I thought that if I just worked out, I could eat whatever I wanted. I was hooked on sugar, carbs and all things sweet and crunchy. Even though I knew how to cook, I wasn’t nourishing myself with the right foods so my body couldn’t function optimally.
Being in the culinary industry was even more detrimental to my health. Long hours combined with stress, eating late at night, not sleeping properly and being sedentary due to tiredness was the worst thing I could do to my already malnourished body. After ten years of this, my body finally said NO and I sure felt it! Adrenal fatigue took it’s toll on me and I had to make drastic changes. I said goodbye to gluten and dairy and followed the Whole30 diet. I found it helped me curb my cravings.
As I started to see changes in my sister, I was getting jealous of her results so I also tried a juice cleanse by Juice Master. From then on, we have kept each other accountable in eating healthy. This recipe is actually inspired by one of Jason Vale’s recipes called Lemon Ginger Zinger. I just kicked it up a notch 😉 I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It’s very refreshing and perfect during Spring and Summer time.
- 2 medium organic carrots
- 2 small organic gala apples
- 1/2 organic blood orange
- 1/2 organic cara cara orange
- 1/4 organic lemon
- 1/2 inch organic ginger
- 2 Tbsp Udo's oil Omega 3+6+9
- pinch of himalayan sea salt (optional)
- In a juicer, place the apples, carrots, oranges, lemon and ginger. Juice until you can juice no more! I usually place each fruit as a whole, just make sure you wash it well!
- Stir in Udo's oil and sea salt.
- Garnish with a slice of orange. Enjoy! 🙂
- Buying organic is very important in this recipe as you don't want to consume any pesticide residue left on fruit peels, especially citrus fruits.
- Double up the recipe and share with a loved one <3
♥ What is Udo’s Omega 3+6+9 Oil?
Udo’s Omega 3+6+9 Oil is created by Udo Erasmus, a scientist who has a Ph.D in nutrition. Udo’s oil is a plant-sourced, organic unrefined oil blend that provides the omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids (EFAs). Since they are essential, our bodies cannot make it on it’s own so it needs to be consumed in our daily diet. It is designed to provide the ideal 2-to-1 ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids.
It is made from fresh, certified organic flax, sunflower, sesame and evening primrose seeds as well as oils from coconut, rice, and bran.
It is not to be used for cooking as heat will destroy its nutrients. Great on its own or drizzled over salads, rice, steamed veggies or added to juice, smoothies or oatmeal. The possibilities are endless!
♥ Benefits of Udo’s Omega 3+6+9 Oil
- Each 30 ml serving provides 13 grams of omega-3 and 6 grams of omega-6 fatty acids
- Great source of energy + fat solube vitamins
- Unrefined and freshly pressed in a state-of-the-art, low heat, low light, and oxygen-free environment to optimize freshness and provide maximum nutritional value
- Made exclusively with 100% sustainable, plant-based ingredients
- Non-GMO + Organic + Vegan
May this recipe inspire you to start your health journey as well!
Happy Drinking!! ?
Using instagram? Tag #cookalabella on your posts so I can see your beautiful creations and like it!