Pizza. Pasta. Potatoes. Sandwiches. Risotto. These are just a few things you can lather this delicious sundried tomato pesto on! Why buy one in a jar when you can make it healthier within a few minutes at home?
Let me show you how!
But first, let’s talk nutrition! I added nutritional yeast for their B-vitamins and cheesy flavour, hemp hearts and baru seeds for their fiber, protein and omega fatty acid content, garlic for their antibiotic properties, and avocado oil for some extra healthy fats. Have I convinced you to try and make this at home yet?
All you need is a food processor and a few ingredients!
- 1/4 cup baru seeds
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 150ml avocado oil
- TT himalayan sea salt
- Pulse the baru seeds in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until well incorporated. Add more oil as needed to get your desired consistency.
- Add to your favourite dish. Enjoy!
- Walnuts, pine nuts or pumpkin seeds can be used in place of baru seeds.
- Best paired with mushrooms and goat cheese.
Baru seeds are legumes that comes from a Dipteryx alata tree. It tastes like a blanched roasted peanut but it is totally nut-free. You probably have never heard of it before because they are new to North America. They are grown in very specific climates in South America, Brazil and Bolivia. They are very versatile in the kitchen; can be added to sweet or savoury foods and snacks.
♥ Health Benefits
- Due to it’s high fibre content, it can aid in weight management with satiety control and bowel mobility
- Prevention of cardiovascular disease due to essential fatty acids, fibre and antioxidant content
- High in antioxidant which reduces oxidative stress in the body
- High protein content and low glycemic index
- Effective regarding cholesterol control
- A 2:1 protein to carb ratio
Lather this delicious pesto on your favourite dish!
Happy Eating! 🙂
Using instagram? Tag #cookalabella on your posts so I can see your beautiful creations and like it!