I usually crave something crunchy when I’m stressed so the creation of these delicious crackers came about when I was super stressed at my last job and wanted something to munch on! Since more people are baking these days, I thought it was time to share my beloved Pumpkin Seed Cracker recipe with all of you so you can make some too! And perhaps it can even help with a little bit of de-stressing while we are all cooped up at home.
These crackers were always a hit at my cooking classes and pretty much any gathering I brought them to. Once you’ve tried making it once and have seen just how easy it is to make, you will always want to bake them! Most people are surprised at how tasty they are because of its simplicity. At one of my private cooking classes with the beautiful people shown below (this was taken in January when we were still allowed to gather and eat together), the crackers were disappearing from the baking tray every time I turned around! That’s how delicious these crackers are! They were pretty much gone before I could serve it with their dip.
These pumpkin seed crackers are packed with nutritional punch! Oats are loaded with dietary fiber which can help keep insulin and blood sugar levels stable. They are heart healthy and great for improving digestion! Pumpkin Seeds, also known as “pepitas” are a great source of zinc which is essential for a healthy immune function. They are a good source of protein, plant-based omega-3s, antioxidants and minerals such as magnesium, manganese, iron and copper which overall helps reduce inflammation. And if you sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top, you are adding some extra Vitamin B12 for boosting energy! So don’t just believe me when I say it’s delicious, go try it for yourself!
Pumpkin Seed Crackers
Yields 36 Crackers
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 cup Bob’s gluten-free flour
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
⅓ cup avocado oil
⅓ cup maple syrup
Optional Toppings: nutritional yeast, pumpkin seeds or coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a food processor, combine the oats and pumpkin seeds and blend until pulverized.
- Add the flour, garlic powder, and salt, and pulse to combine.
- While the motor is running, stream in the oil and maple syrup. Blend until the dough forms into a ball and starts to come off from the sides.
- Using a pastry cutter, divide the dough into three pieces.
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out until is it ⅛ inch thick.
- Remove the top sheet and cut into 1.5 inch diamond-shape pieces. Carefully lift the parchment paper and transfer the crackers onto a sheet tray. Sprinkle with optional toppings if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, break the sheet into crackers.
- Enjoy with your favourite dip or eat on it’s own!
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Sunflower Seeds can be used instead of Pumpkin Seeds
- Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 gluten-free flour is my favourite gluten-free flour blend!
- Any neutral vegetable oil can work for this recipe such as grapeseed oil and sunflower oil
Happy Munching! 🙂
Using instagram? Tag #cookalabella on your posts so I can see your beautiful creations and like it!